Wednesday, January 26, 2011

FM Transmitter

FM transmitter is a portable device that plugs into proprietary output port of a portable audio or video device, such as a portable media player, CD player, or satellite radio system. The sound is then broadcast through the transmitter, and plays through an FM broadcast band frequency. Purposes for an FM transmitter include playing music from a device through a car stereo, or any radio.
 Recently, MP3 player in my car stop working and I was in search for a new one. Replacing the MP3 will be costly, so I was looking for other alternatives, and that’s how FM transmitter came to my mind. This one is comparatively cheap, handy and easy to use. The devices like card reader, USB as well as iPod can be connected to this.
I connected my new FM-transmitter MP3 kit which we can be plugged to cigarette lighter socket in car. This will converts the audio output into an FM radio signal, which can then be picked up by appliances such as radios in the car. Most devices on the market typically have a short range of up to 30 feet (9 meters) with any average radio (up to about 75 feet (23 meters) with a very good radio under perfect conditions) and can broadcast on any FM frequency from 76.0 to 108.0 MHz (or 88.1 to 107.9 in the US).
In some countries it is legal to transmit on FM frequencies, in other countries it is not. You are strongly advised to check that it is permissible to use an FM transmitter in your country before operation. Using FM transmitter is legal in India, United States and Canada. But broadcasting it to your neighbour’s house may be illegal! Check with the FCC to find out the exact distance you are allowed to broadcast without a license. The transmitter beyond the allowed strength, you could be violating regulations on FM transmissions.
Even after installation of FM Transmitter with proper guidelines my colleague was complaining me whenever he is near by; he too getting my signals which eventually corrupting his signals !!  and he modified his frequency for making his transmission proper. Going ahead not sure how long I can keep my frequency band without  getting in to other's with same frequency (Yes this is a known drawback). But I like to use this little smart device which saved my money. Good bye to those days where writing CD's and keeping them proper even if you don't have a MP3 player with USB access. 



No comments: